Parade Entry Terms & Conditions
The annual Pride Community Parade is the biggest and most exciting visual event in Brighton & Hove’s calendar bringing the whole community out on to the city’s streets as over 300,000 people participate and watch the spellbinding spectacular of our hugely successful “Carnival Of Diversity”.
Participants have included Brighton Pride’s partners and sponsors, local community groups, representatives from political parties and faith groups, the NHS, Brighton Housing Trust, Sussex Police, Sussex Fire services, the Girl Guides, Scouts, trade unions, along side major corporate brands showing their support for diversity, and a sensational selection of performers, musicians and artists including costumier extraordinaire Mandinga Arts, Brighton community choirs, Marta Scott Dance Company, Raw Samba and Samba Pelo Mar.
An event like no other in the UK, flamboyant, vibrant and colourful, the Pride Community Parade fills the streets of Brighton and Hove with spectacular show stopping sights as music, floats, bands, costumes and dancing combine to create a truly unique Pride experience. Join Brighton Pride on Saturday 5th August 2017 to declare unity with each other, our fabulous city and the global LGBT+ community as we come together for a Summer of Of Love in a truly inspiring Carnival of Diversity.
In order for us to be able to keep the parade open to everybody we revised the parade entry system. The new system means more groups can enter but we have to limit the size of each entry.
We want everyone who participates during the Brighton Pride LGBT Community Parade to have a safe and enjoyable experience.
In order for you to be part for Brighton Pride LGBT 2017 Community Parade you will need to submit certain Documents to ensure your entry is safe and adheres to our equalities and safeguarding objectives.
The Documents you will need to submit are:
- A copy of your Risk Assessments for this year’s parade
- A copy of your Public Liability Insurance Certificate
- A copy of your Equity Policy/statement to show your organization is non- discriminatory and open to all members of the community where possible
- A copy of your motor insurance
- A copy of your drivers driving license and copy of ID for any persons sitting next to the driver during the parade.
- A hand signed acknowledgement form that you have read the Technical & Creative Briefing Documents
IMPORTANT – Please note: Failure to submit appropriate evidence before the deadline requested will mean your organisation will not be able to participate in the Brighton Pride LGBT Community Parade. All evidence is needed by the 30th June 2017 without which we cannot continue your registration.
Please print out this form, complete it and attach photocopies of the requested documents and send to: Parade Documents, Brighton Pride CIC, Unit 2 The Old Iron Works, 30 Cheapside, Brighton BN1 4DG.
Please do not send scanned emails. Please make sure that your documents reach us by 30th June 2017.
Please note the following conditions of entry which are binding on all your participants. Most are self-explanatory and all are born out of necessity, please contact the Pride office with any queries you may have. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Whilst we recognise that Pride was born out of protest and encourage political participation, parade entries will be disallowed or removed if they denigrate the work of Pride or other charities, community groups and businesses participating in the parade.
- No nudity will be permitted, nor flashing or exposure of areas which are covered on a family beach.
- No alcohol or drugs to be consumed whilst participating in the parade. No alcohol should be carried in or on any float, or by walking participants. No participant should be under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.
- Nothing is to be thrown from a vehicle at any time.
- Participants that break any of the conditions above may be asked to leave the parade at any time.
- At least one representative from your group will be required to attend a mandatory Pride Parade session and a pre- parade briefing during Pride week.
- You agree to cascade train your safety stewards prior to the parade.
- You agree to provide the requested documents from the Application Support Form by the deadline
- You will need to provide safety stewards for your entry:
Litter & clean-up:
- Please do not create litter during the parade. Please keep your rubbish with you and dispose appropriately at the conclusion of the parade.
Mounting and dismounting from a moving float:
- Mounting and dismounting from a float is not permitted except in an emergency.
- Floats shall be capable of maintaining a minimum speed of 5 miles per hour under anticipated conditions.
- Entry fee’s cannot be exchanged or refunded unless the entire Parade is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances such as extreme weather conditions or terrorism , in which event you will be offered a full refund.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PLACE IN THE PARADE IS NOT GUARANTEED UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE FULL PAYMENT. THE DEADLINE FOR PAYMENT FOR EARLY BIRD ENTRIES IS FEBRUARY 28TH (IF YOU MISS THIS DEADLINE THEN YOUR ENTRY WILL REVERT TO FULL PRICE ENTRY) AND ANY APPLICATIONS MADE AFTER THIS DATE THE DEADLINE WILL BE 25TH JUNE. IF FULL PAYMENT HAS NOT BEEN MADE BY THE DEADLINE THEN YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PLACE IN THE PARADE.
Online Application Information
Brighton Pride retains the right to refuse any application without liability. Brighton Pride retains the right to cancel the Pride Festival or Pride events at any time, in part or in full, without liability. The act of receiving an online application shall not be deemed to impart or imply any obligation for Brighton Pride to accept any bid or application. Applications will be considered incomplete and will not be placed on hold if full payment is not made. Once your application has been accepted no refunds will be issued. Entries are non-transferrable. Application close date is firm.
In order to participate in the 2017 Pride Parade, all organisations, affiliates, and individuals must:
- Support the mission, vision, and values of Brighton Pride (APPENDIX A)
- Sign and return all paperwork and essential documents
- Attend a parade training meeting
- Abide by the Rules of Parade Entry and all Terms and Conditions
- Acknowledge that a failure to honour the Parade or comply with
Brighton Pride’s rules could result in penalties, including the person or group’s exclusion from future Parades.
- All applicants must meet category eligibility requirements as outlined in the online application. If requested by Brighton Pride, applicants must provide proof that they qualify for the category applied for. Should there be a dispute, Brighton Pride reserves the right to deny an application on the grounds of ineligibility or offer the Parade Applicant an opportunity to re-apply under the appropriate category with payment of the appropriate fees.
Parade participants who breach any of the terms and conditions may be banned from participating in future Brighton Pride Events.
Please note that the Pride Parade is a rain or shine event. Brighton Pride does not assume any liability for bad or inclement weather or other factors outside the control of Brighton Pride. For further Pride 2017 information visit our web site at www.brighton-pride.org All applicants for participation in the Parade are required to thoroughly read and agree to all of the following.
By completing this application and affixing a signature thereto, the Applicant agrees to abide by the Terms and Conditions listed below:
On behalf of and with authority of the organization/ business/ individual making this application:
1) The Applicant confirms that they over 18 and have the authority to assume full responsibility for the behaviour of all persons participating in their parade group falling under this application. The Applicant further agrees to comply by and enforce all applicable laws and regulations in connection with the event.
2) The Applicant operates in a manner consistent with the celebration of Pride and the positive value of diversity and identity in the LGBT communities.
3) The Applicant hereby declares that policies upholding equal opportunity and non-discrimination have been adopted, by which discrimination on the grounds of Race, Colour, Creed, National Origin, Religious or Political affiliation, Sex, Age, Personal or Family Relationships, Disabilities, HIV/AIDS, Income Restrictions, Union Affiliation, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression is prohibited by the organization/business or individual.
4) The Applicant understands that alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs/ NPS are not permitted onsite or on the Parade route or staging area.
5) The Applicant specifically agrees that Brighton Pride assumes no responsibility for damages to persons or property however caused, as a result of or pertaining to the participation and/or activities of the organization/business or individual.
6) Messaging in the Parade:
a) The Applicant will not present any messages – verbal, written, in imagery or otherwise – that promotes or condones violence or the incitement of hatred.
b) The Applicant will respect the right of all members and supporters of our communities to participate in Pride 2017.
c) The Applicant agrees that all messages delivered during the participation in the Parade will remain non-violent and in accordance with the guidelines above.
d) The Applicant will tailor their messaging to be in accordance with: The theme of the Pride 2017 festival
e) No purely commercial messages will be permitted, and no branding or messaging from third-party companies will be permitted on any floats.
f) Distribution of gifts, goods, flyers, printed material and or any promotional goods is prohibited along the Pride Parade route without prior approval from Pride and agreement from Brighton & Hove City Council.
7) Floats and vehicles in the Parade:
a) The Applicant agrees to build their float and or vehicle to the specifications listed in the Technical Brief.
b) The Applicant understands that the driver of any vehicle participating in the Parade must possess a valid Driver’s license in the class appropriate to the vehicle, and appropriate insurance available for presentation at all times on the day of the Parade. The Applicant understands that any driver who is unable to produce a valid license or insurance will be removed from the Parade.
c) Any drivers found to be intoxicated or with controlled substances or alcohol on their persons or in their vehicles will be removed from the Parade.
d) The Applicant agrees that all drivers of motorcycles, or any other vehicle that requires such protective gear, must wear the appropriate riding gear, including helmets, while riding their vehicles.
e) The applicant will comply with the rules and regulations of the holding area and acknowledges that the holding area is not a building area. Floats are to arrive ready-made with only final touches being applied within the holding area.
f) The applicant acknowledges and is responsible for ensuring that all floats have a dry chemical extinguisher and a basic first aid kit on board.
g) The applicant acknowledges that upon completion of the parade route floats will be allowed to stop for 2 minutes to allow participants to disembark before being directed away from the Parade finish to de-rig in an area off site. Road ready vehicles are vehicles deemed to be safe on public roads in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act.
h) Each Parade applicant must be insured for a minimum of £2 million. An copy certificate from your insurer and all other appropriate documents must be provided by the deadline 30 June 2017
i) Float building materials & decorations:
•All construction and decorative material must be manufactured or treated so as to be effectively flame retardant. Please avoid paper construction as, even when sprayed with flame retardant solution, this is not always 100% effective.
•Float building materials must not be near or part of the exhaust fumes outlet.
•No sharp or unfinished edges should be exposed.
•No glass / crystals should be used.
•No objects or literature of any kind shall be thrown from any float or distributed by any participant at any time.
•Only diesel generators are permitted.
j) Vehicle Safety Stewards
It is the responsibility of the float organiser to provide sufficient wheel stewards as follows –
- Articulated lorry – Six, one at each corner and in between the traction unit and trailer.
- Small lorry- Four, one at each corner
- Delivery vans – Four, one at each corner.
- Cars – Two, one at each front corner.
- Driver’s vision: To comply with Highways Regulations floats shall be so designed as to avoid any obstruction to the driver’s field of view.
k) Vehicle maintenance:
Vehicles and trailers must be properly serviced. Vehicles pulling floats should be serviced for fuel, oil, water, tyres and battery prior to parade day. Evidence of this will be required during the pre-Parade safety checks. The Parade Manager or Safety Officer retain discretion to withdraw any unsafe vehicle.
l) Fire extinguishers and naked flames:
All vehicular entries must carry a minimum of 1 x fully charged (2 gallon/5 litre) extinguisher of an appropriate type suitable for the materials and equipment used in the construction of your display). The extinguisher must be readily accessible on the vehicle and must be sealed, tagged, and dated within the previous 12-month period. Each participating organisation must ensure that someone on the float is trained in use of the extinguisher.
m) No Naked flames & Smoking
Naked flames and smoking is strictly prohibited on all floats.
n) First Aid:
Every vehicular float must carry a first aid kit.
o) Electrical systems:
Electrical systems and wiring must be of a type approved for exterior use, should have sufficient capacity, be properly secured to prevent damage, have all terminations enclosed within approved devices or enclosures, and have appropriate circuit and earth leakage protection. Where batteries are used, they should be fixed securely, not above head height and be adequately protected from the weather and moisture. Each battery installation should also include a “Spill Kit”. All electrical equipment must be installed and certified by a competent and qualified person.
8) Walking Groups
- a) Stewards for Walking Groups:
1 x steward per 15 x participants (or part thereof). Stewards are to ensure that the group moves as a cohesive unit and to act as a safety monitor.
The Applicant understands and agrees that any breach of contract may result in one or more of the following consequences:
- a) Refusal of permission to participate in the Parade
- b) Removal from participation during the Parade
- c) Legal action with respect to Breach of Contract and/or Trespassing
- d) Exclusion from participation in future Parades
- e) Application of criminal charges
- f) Legal action to recover monetary costs related to actions by the participants, including damage to property, court fines and fees resulting from lawsuits or charges against Pride
Financial & Contractual Requirements
All fees are payable online by PAYPAL or BACS ONLY; cash will not be accepted. Applications will not be processed if payment is incomplete. The next applicant on the waiting list will be contacted immediately and presented with an opportunity to register.
In consideration of the acceptance of this application and permission to participate in the Pride Parade, I, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns hereby release, waive and
forever discharge Brighton Pride staff, board, volunteers, and suppliers and all other associations, sanctioning bodies and sponsoring companies, and all their respective agents, officials, servants, contractors, representatives, volunteers, staff, elected and appointed officials, successors and assigns OF AND FROM ALL claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses, actions and causes of action, whether in law or equity, in respect of death, injury, loss or damage to my person or property HOWSOEVER CAUSED, arising or to arise by reason of my participation in the said event, whether as an exhibitor, spectator, participant, competitor or otherwise, whether prior to, during or subsequent to the event, AND NOTHWITHSTANDING that the same may have been contributed to, or occasioned by the negligence of any of the aforesaid.
I FURTHER HEREBY UNDERTAKE to HOLD AND SAVE HARMLESS and AGREE TO INDEMNIFY all of the aforesaid from against any all liability incurred by any or all of them as a result of, or in any way connected with my participation in the said event. BY SUBMITTING THIS ENTRY, I ACKNOWLEDGE HAVING READ, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED TO THE ABOVE WAIVER, RELEASE AND INDEMNITY.
I have READ, UNDERSTOOD and AGREE TO all the terms and conditions of this application and all the terms and conditions contained herein.